Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) is an oral diabetes medicine that help control blood sugar levels. It is for people with type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes. This drug is sometimes used in combination with insulin or other medications, but it is not for treating type 1 diabetes. Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) is usually taken once daily. You may take Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) with or without food. This drug is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Your physician may also recommend other medicines to treat your diabetes. It is important to use Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Stop using Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) and call your physician at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- chest pain, general ill feeling;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- blurred vision;
- increased thirst or hunger, urinating more than usual; or
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, weakness.
Continue taking Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) and talk to your physician if you have any of these less serious side effects:
- sneezing, runny nose, cough or other signs of a cold;
- gradual weight gain;
- muscle pain; or
- tooth problems.
Actos (Pioglitazone Hydrochloride) should only be used as instructed and prescribed by your physician or pharmacist. Do not alter your dosage unless specifically instructed to do so by either of the above. Dosage and usage often depends on the severity of the condition, as well as the patient`s medical history and current health condition.
Before you begin using this medication, ensure your physician is aware of the following:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have any allergies.
- If you have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- If you are using any other drugs or medication.
- If you are using any vitamins or supplements.